What's New in the .NET Framework 4.0
· Windows Communication Foundation
· Windows Workflow Foundation
ADO.NET provides new features for the Entity Framework, including persistence-ignorant objects, functions in LINQ queries, and customized object layer code generation.
For ASP.NET 4, Dynamic Data has been enhanced to give you even more power for quickly building data-driven Web sites. This includes the following:
· Automatic validation that is based on constraints that are defined in the data model.
· The ability to easily change the markup that is generated for fields in the GridView and DetailsView controls by using field templates that are part of a Dynamic Data project.
WCF Data Services
ADO.NET Data Service has been renamed to WCF Data Services, and has the following new features
· Data binding.
· Counting entities in an entity set.
· Server-driven paging.
· Query projections.
· Custom data service providers.
2. Windows Communication Foundation
Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) provides the following improvements:
· Configuration-based activation: Removes the requirement for having an .svc file.
· System.Web.Routing integration: Gives you more control over your service's URL by allowing the use of extensionless URLs.
· Multiple IIS site bindings support: Allows you to have multiple base addresses with the same protocol on the same Web site.
· Routing Service: Allows you to route messages based on content.
· Support for WS-Discovery: Allows you to create and search for discoverable services.
· Standard endpoints: Predefined endpoints that allow you to specify only certain properties.
· Workflow services: Integrates WCF and WF by providing activities to send and receive messages, the ability to correlate messages based on content, and a workflow service host.
· WCF REST features:
· Web HTTP caching: Allows caching of Web HTTP service responses.
· Web HTTP formats support: Allows you to dynamically determine the best format for a service operation to respond in.
· Web HTTP services help page: Provides an automatic help page for Web HTTP services, similar to the WCF service help page.
· Web HTTP error handling: Allows Web HTTP Services to return error information in the same format as the operation.
· Simplified configuration: Reduces the amount of configuration a service requires
3. Windows Workflow Foundation
Windows Workflow Foundation (WF) provides improvements in the following areas:
· Improved workflow activity model: The Activity class provides the base abstraction of workflow behavior.
· Rich composite activity options: Workflows benefit from new flow-control activities that model traditional flow-control structures, such as Flowchart, TryCatch, and Switch(Of T).
· Expanded built-in activity library: New features of the activity library include new flow-control activities, activities for manipulating member data, and activities for controlling transactions.
· Explicit activity data model: New options for storing or moving data include variable and directional arguments.
· Enhanced hosting, persistence, and tracking options: Hosting enhancements include more options for running workflows, explicit persistence using the Persistactivity, persisting without unloading, preventing persistence by using no-persist zones, using ambient transactions from the host, recording tracking information to the event log, and resuming pending workflows by using a Bookmark object.
· Easier ability to extend the WF Designer: The new WF Designer is built on Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and provides an easier model to use when rehosting the WF Designer outside of Visual Studio.